We at Lolabrigada.com would like to extend a warm welcome to some of the new words that made the final cut in Merriam-Webster’s new Dictionary for 2008.
We are most excited about one term in particularly: FANBOY!
6. fanboy n (1919) : a boy who is an enthusiastic devotee (as of comics or movies)
Yeah we got a lot of fanboys around here.
Another interesting term added this year was: air quotes.
1. air quotes n pl (1989) : a gesture made by raising and flexing the index and middle fingers of both hands that is used to call attention to a spoken word or expression
This is in the dictionary?
Some other favorites are…
7. infinity pool n (1992) : an outdoor swimming pool having an edge over which water flows into a trough but seems to flow into the horizon
20. soju n ( 1978 ) : Korean vodka distilled from rice
Crank Dat – BOY!
The surprise of the list had to be ‘mental health day.’
11. mental health day n (1971) : a day that an employee takes off from work in order to relieve stress or renew vitality
No longer do we have to lie about why we aren’t coming into work. Since it’s in the dictionary now, we all have an excuse for skipping work because we just can’t take the stress of data entry. Thanks Webster!
4. dwarf planet n (1993) : a celestial body that orbits the sun and has a spherical shape but is too small to disturb other objects from its orbit