One of the joys of blogging (of which there are many) is being able to track the search engine terms that lead people right here to lolabrigada.com.
Just yesterday, for example, intrepid web-surfers reached our remote internet outpost by searching for the following: “sebastian horsley”, “punch to the neck”, “picture of satchel mouth”, and, my personal favorite: “what model appeared toples on the self-”
But no search engine term has led people our way more than “Sepultura”. Those with long memories will remember that I referenced these thrash-metal titans in my Book Club post on Jack London’s “White Fang”. Ever since then, a steady stream of metal fans have visited us, in search of information on their favorite Brazilian headbangers.
Now, if there’s any one group of people that I want reading lolabrigada.com, it’s Sepultura fans. In order to insure their continued patronage, here are 10 facts about the band that my dogged research has uncovered.
1. Former lead singer Wagner Lamounier once bit off the head of a bat onstage, and spit it into the audience.
2. The band courted controversy with 1989’s Lies ep, which included a song filled with offensive slurs against blacks, homosexuals, immigrants, and the police.
3. Sepultura bassist Lemmy Kilmister was formerly in the legendary psych band Hawkwind.
4. A tragic bus accident in 1986 claimed the life of Cliff Burton, the band’s roadie.
5. Dave Mustaine went on to form Megadeth after being kicked out of Sepultura.
6. Sepultura’s 1986 collaboration with Run-DMC is widely credited with kick-starting the rap-metal genre.
7. Sepultura is portuguese for “Boys Entering Anarchistic States Toward Internal Excellence”
8. Joaquin Phoenix’s mesmerizing turn as Sepultura guitarist Jairo Guedes was widely considered to be the highlight of the 2004 mockumentary Die Hard: The Bobby Cox Story.
9. That time that there was only one set of footprints in the sand? It was then that Sepultura carried you.
10. Current Sepultura singer Derrick Green once appeared toples on the self-
I think that should about cover it. We in Lolabrigada are now going to sit back and watch our stats soar to the stratosphere. Thank you, Sepultura fans. If you have any further questions about the band, please do not hesitate to email us at lolabrigada.@gmail.com